Thursday, February 22, 2007

i rest my case

This week we were introduced to Case Analysis. I feel this is a more hands on approach, tantamount to a pragmatic application of the knowledge we have acquired. We were given a case, the ASEAN Food Safety Initiative (AFSI), and were told to apply the Web 2.0 concept to solving the problem. This is what my group came up with:

I guess this pretty much covers what we wanted to say. We applied as much of Web 2.0 as we possibly could. We used the Web as our user interface, thus this allows it to be accessible on multiple platforms and mediums, eg. pc, laptop, PDA, or mobile phone. It also allows end user interactivity as each person involved in the life cycle events can make changes to the database in their various areas of speciality. Also, all the processing is centralised and done on the server side, and requires very little power on the client side. The system is intelligent and can compute graphs, charts and other graphical representations of statistical data, and also cross reference the data and make smart relationships and hence track sources of contamination.

These time constrained case analysis are very helpful as it helps us better understand the concepts involved as a solid grasp of the material is required to be able to properly apply it to real world situations and adapt it to varying circumstances. It also helps us to be quick-witted, which will definitely go a long way when solving similar problems in future. Cases are really simulations of real world situations and provides us with an avenue to gaining experience without losing too much when we fail.

Prof Gilbert encouraged us to join the Citibank Case Challenge, which I have taken a keen interest in but alas, I'm not a final year or penultimate year student and so I don't meet the prerequisite for admission. Oh well. There will always be more opportunities. Anyway, Prof Gilbert was really helpful when I asked him about resume writing. Got me to think in the right direction. I should be crafting my curriculum vitae soon, and maybe I'll decide to upload it to the digital dropbox and face the firing squad that is the MB362 class. =P

2 comments:

cellprof said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cellprof said...

Nice summary, and of course you will be able to compete next year, or even sooner at the Uni level. Regarding the CV, "Bang"