Friday, March 9, 2007

tic tac toe

Edventure is down! But fret not, we can still do things the old fashion way. (: This week my group got to present our proof-of-concept, essentially a working demo of the interface of our game. (Apparently, we were the ONLY group which did this assignment) Anyways, Prof Gilbert and Co. gave some advice on how we could improve on the user interface. One thing that I sorely overlooked was the reference ID, which was utterly redundant since we already have the user's mobile phone and user ID noted. But it was all good advice! Thanks class!

This week we discussed user interface design. We played this seemingly complex number game and came up with various hypothesis on how to solve it, only to have our bubble burst when Prof Gilbert drew Tic-Tac-Toe on the white board. The design of the user interface is of utmost importance. Even if you've got an excellent product, everything will be for nought if the user cannot use it! We analysed user interface design in various industries and realised that not all industries have common standards. This is mainly due to a lack of motivation to create standards. (If I were Sony, why should I make a remote that can control a Samsung DVD player? I'd rather they just buy my products anyway.)

Again, we touched on convergence, or mash ups. This is not just an isolated phenomenon, but convergence of technology is happening across the board in all industries. Why do I need a console, a dvd recorder and a dvd player when I can have just one Xbox that will settle everything? This is just one example of convergence, and more will come.

Back to our project, the technology plan is due next week! I'm really not sure how I can submit a few pages for my technology plan as the AmaSingRace requires only the bare minimum. I guess I'll have to figure this one out soon.

1 comment:

cellprof said...

Good questions, sorry to be so late getting back to you. So if the wiki isn't your textbook, but something else, what is it? It's not really a reference book. It has more ideas than facts (actually a weakness that I thought you guys would fix by adding facts about technology. I'm pretty sure some of you know more than the authors, and any 3rd year EEE or CE student should know more about current technology than I do)